Monday, November 16, 2009

Persepolis

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

For anyone who wants to begin to understand Iranian people, I believe this graphic novel is a fantastic first step. The book follows a young Marjane as she tries to grow up in a war torn Iran from pre-1979 to the early 90s. Her story gives tons of perspective on the history of Iran, it's relationship with Islam, the struggle between the ideals of the West and East, exhile, and repression in her own country. The story is very accessable through vivid images.

I was completely moved by this book. I don't think one can read this book and not feel a sort of compassion for the Iranian people and their struggles. It is the perfect compliment to another one of my favorites, Lipstick Jihad. The two books occur during a very simular time frame, deal with very simular topics, and really paint a simular picture.

I really want to watch the movie associated with this book. My hope is that the illustrations are simular. I wish this book was manditory reading for our politicians, and for the rest of us. There is so much more to Iran than this tyranical regime that is portrayed on our mainstream media. These people have suffered so much, it is a miracle that persevere. I have great admiration for the women of Iran and I really hope that they find the freedom that works best for them in their lifetime.

An amazing book! A must read!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that more people should have to read this book. The picture of Iran containing secular people who fight against tyrannical regime is refreshing and educating.

    ReplyDelete